Thursday, March 4, 2010

Mary Kate loves Jesus

Sorry everybody, but I had to comment on Mary Kate Olsen’s guest appearance. I, like every other girl my age, was obsessed with the whole Olsen twin movie phenomenon from about age 6 to age 13. Lately the twins may be out of work, have no talent, and be plagued with eating disorders, but there will always be a place in my heart for them. I was so shocked when Mary Kate turned up on Weeds. For one, to me she belongs on feel good family movies. Secondly, I kept expecting Ashley Olsen to show up. Little Mary-Kate is by herself!? No frickin’ way! At least MK is staying close to her roots with the whole abstinence bit. That’s the stuff Full House taught us. We’ll just ignore that she smokes and deals marijuana. And the fact that she and Silas like to hang out around “third base”. Oh what is the world coming to…
I like this little Weeds insight into religion. We don’t really see that much religious practice in TV shows and movies unless it’s a holiday or someone is dying. At that point people start turning to God after they’ve been ignoring him forever. Funerals are big too. Six Feet Under- case and point. But really, what is the place of religion in pop culture today? It seems to me that religion has fallen out of popularity or been made to look ridiculous. In season 3 we get to hear Doug’s song about “Jesus freaks”. Obviously we can see Shane’s strong feelings on Creation and Andy’s view on euthanasia when he asks Nancy to smother his grandma (who is in a vegetative state) with a pillow. And then there are movies like Saved and Religulous that poke fun at Christianity. How about Hamlet 2? Who didn’t enjoy “Rock me sexy Jesus?”
Then again, the Botwins have engaged in some Jewish religious practices over the years. Mainly Bubbie’s shiva and baby Steven Ray Botwin’s bris. We see religion infiltrating our politics but not so much our entertainment…or am I wrong? I’m kind of at a loss for this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment