Monday, April 5, 2010

I couldn't have said it better myself- Why weeds is so great

The main reason I love Weeds so much is the characters. It’s the funniest ensemble I have ever seen, but there are two other things that I love. I couldn’t put these things into words until I watched this interview with the cast and creators of the show.

#1 I love the political incorrectness. Just as Elizabeth Perkins said, the blatant political incorrectness of the show teaches us about political correctness; and it does this without ramming it down our throats. It uses humor to help ease us into this learning process. In a show centered around illegal activity and filled with racism, sexism, stereotypes, dirty jokes, etc, the audience is actually given a window into our society. Into the behavior that needs to be corrected. In the flaws of the characters, we can see the flaws in ourselves. In a show that seems like one big joke, there is really a lot of depth. Who knew that a show so funny could also provide us with a moral compass.

#2 I love how Weeds stirs up the debate on the “war on drugs”. As Jenji Kohan said, weed “is the funny drug” and “people don’t take it all that seriously”. You could say that Weeds argues for both sides in this debate. Clearly pot dealing lands Nancy in a lot of awful predicaments including near death experiences and trouble with the authorities. However, if marijuana was legal, these things would seize to be a problem. All the gang violence, drug trafficking, and police work would no longer exist. So, I’d say that Weeds is absolutely FOR legalizing marijuana. Like Jenji said, these characters are doing something that has been deemed wrong in our society but they’ve created their own moral code and we love them. Elizabeth Perkins even argued in another segment of the interview that pot is less dangerous than alcohol. And this year, legalizing marijuana will be on California ballets. Not just medical marijuana, recreational marijuana! I’m all for it. If alcohol is legal weed should be too. And think of all the gang violence and police hours wasted on making it illegal. Let’s just legalize it and tax it. That’s one way to get out of debt…”U.S. pays back China with drug money”. Haha I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment